Laboratory Assistant II - San Diego
WHO WE ARE - Millennium Health is a leading health solutions company that delivers accurate, timely, clinically actionable information to inform the right treatment decisions for each patient. Millennium Health offers a comprehensive suite of services including Millennium PGT and Millennium UDT, which can be used to better tailor patient care. More information can be found at www.millenniumhealth.com.
Under direct supervision of licensed personnel, responsible for assisting in preparing specimens for testing and assist with cleaning and organizing the laboratory.
The following are intended to be examples of the accountabilities for which the person in this position is responsible. This position description is not intended to be complete or all-inclusive and does not preclude management from assigning other or related functions for which the individual has demonstrated competency through performance. Under constant and direct supervision of Clinical Laboratory Scientists:
- Pull and setup samples for testing including validations, repeats, re-pipettes.
- Assist with cleaning and daily maintenance of the laboratory and equipment.
- May assist with operation and maintenance of the Vyleater machine/disposal equipment.
- May Assist with organization/Inventory of supplies for the laboratory.
- Discard specimens per schedule.
- Clean lab floors as necessary, checking for broken glass.
- Responsible for aliquotting specimens for preparation of testing.
- Required to follow all safety procedures, policies, precautions, and Quality Assurance.
- Responsible for waste collection/consolidation per SOP and safety policies.
- Responsible for waste disposal per SOP and safety policies.
- Use of proper protective equipment while performing assigned tasks, which may include hearing protection, a respirator mask, etc. Note: facial hair is not permitted with use of respirator mask.
- May act as the trainer and maybe considered as subject matter expert at some responsibilities.
- May participate in cross functional project teams.
- Acts as the back-up to the Lead in his/her absence.
- Able to use experience to identify and help resolve issues.
- Maintains productivity standards and ability to multi-task; completes work in a timely manner or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Other related duties as assigned.
The Laboratory Assistant II remains aware of evolving needs and opportunities, showing flexibility to support the company's success. Performs all other related duties as required and assigned and understands that the items in this description are not all-inclusive.
- Basic understanding of laboratory practices
- Ability to stand for long periods of the day, approximately 4-8 hours
- Good communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well within a team environment.
- Strong attention to detail
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
This position will require the following physical requirements: sitting (2 %), walking (18%), standing (80%), and lifting up to 50 lbs. Physical requirements will vary depending on departmental needs.
This position will require the following mental requirements:
- The employee is expected to read and understand standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- The employee should be able to convert SOP instructions into work-related tasks.
- The employee must be able to perform simple calculations as required in the SOP.
- The employee must be able to use judgment when there is a deviation in the system and effectively communicate any discrepancy to their supervisor.
ADDITIONAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- The employee is regularly exposed to high pressure/high stress situations, and therefore, must be able to thrive in this type of environment.
- Must be able to tolerate a moderate noise level.
- Must be able to work an extended schedule as needed.
- Personnel performing testing or other tasks that require color discrimination must be evaluated for difficulty with visual color discrimination. Evaluation limited to discrimination of those colored items pertinent to the job is sufficient.
- At least 1 year experience working in a laboratory highly desirable
Millennium Health offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package.
Millennium Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and E-Verify participant. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status
San Diego, California, United States